Royce Williams: Allergy Boy
or, Anaphylaxis Avoided
(Allergies & Feeding FAQ)
Don't want Royce to die when he comes over for dinner? (Imagine the
embarrassment!) Here's what you need to know.
I can't eat
birds (chicken, turkey, duck),
fish (salmon, halibut, tuna, catfish, cod, flounder, etc.),
some legumes (black beans, garbanzo/chickpeas, kidney beans, Navy beans),
I should minimize and mostly avoid
some other legumes (peanuts, soy, green/string beans),
(but traces are OK).
And remember - I can always bring some of my own food!
Prepare anything you want. When cooking with Royce as a guest, do not
feel as though you need to avoid the foods below. Just make sure that
you've prepared enough non-allergy foods so that the growling of Royce's
tummy doesn't bother the other diners.
Stephanies may sometimes also be part of Royce feeding. Stephanies are
generally vegetarian, but have been seen eating fish at times.
Tressas also appear frequently during Royce feeding times. Tressas need
to avoid wheat, nuts, and eggs.
The general rule of thumb is "No fins, no feathers" for animals.
I tried some alligator once (with no ill effects), so reptiles are probably OK.
Things he MUST NOT eat or he will swell up (IgE, fun at parties!) or get gastrically grumpy (Type IV/cell-mediated, invisible at parties)
- Birds: chicken, turkey, duck (1985).
- Fish: salmon, halibut, tuna, catfish, cod, flounder, etc. (1989).
- Legumes: black beans, garbanzo beans (chick peas), kidney beans, Navy beans (1991).
- Hazelnuts (2004).
- Shrimp (2005).
- Crab/lobster (2008).
- Corn (2016 - Type IV/cell-mediated).
Things he should minimize (with year added):
- Peas (1998).
- Sunflower seeds (1999).
- Soy (2015).
- Peanuts (2016, no reactions yet).
- Green/string beans (2016, no reactions yet).
- Almonds (2016, no reactions yet).
Possibly surprising things he can eat:
- Most other shellfish: mussels, clams, scallops, oysters.
- Reptiles (taste like chicken!)
- Octopus (though I think that they're too smart to feel OK about eating them)
Things that he often eats instead:
- All them mammals (beef, pork, etc.)
and Stove Top Stuffing (handy on holidays!)
- Milk products -- cheese, yogurt, ice cream, ice cream and ice cream (yay!)
- Cereal -- especially old-fashioned oats, Bran Buds, twigs-and-berries cereals without corn
- Fruit -- especially oranges, raisins, and blueberries.
- Bear Tooth and Moose's Tooth (skip the corn meal on the bottom of the pizzas - just ask).
- Other nuts.
- Veggies, veggies, veggies.
- Dark chocolate -- my daily vice
- Mom's chocolate-covered peanut-butter balls. (I only eat these very sparingly now)
- Very small rocks.
- Pretty much anything else.
Corn-free and corn-lite options in Anchorage, Alaska:
- Moose's Tooth: The bottom of pizzas are usually dusted with corn meal. This can be substituted on request. This isn't good enough for people with severe corn allergies, but if you're "corn lite" as I am, it can be OK.
- Bear Tooth: lots of options, burritos, and the same pizza procedures as Moose' Tooth. Bear Tooth and Moose's Tooth are awesome about allergies -- highly recommended.
- Wild Scoops ice cream: all of the non-light flavors are usually OK - be sure to ask.
For the curious, non-food items that he's allergic to:
- Birch pollen (guess which state is the Birch Capital of the World?)
- Dog/cat dander (mild, has been observed in the field, but this will not deter me; I like animalcules).
- Feathers and bird dander (no observed symptoms yet, as I have no birdy friends).
Interesting allergy facts
There it is. Use your knowledge for good, not evil. :)
$Id: index.html,v 1.20 2016/10/15 14:00:59 royce Exp royce $