The Lost Gold Rush of the Kenai Peninsula
This site is dedicated to the lost Gold Rush of the Kenai Peninsula. This gold rush happened between 1890 and 1898. Around 1898, gold was discovered on the Klondike. Most of the 3000 miners and support staff left the Kenai and headed to Dawson. In what was left of many cabins, it was obvious by the absence of any machine-made bottles that the miners left the cabin and noone ever set foot in them again (they collapsed and decayed to topsoil and moss). The mechanical bottle maker was invented in 1900. Prior to that date, all bottles were handmade and do not have a parting seam from the mold. Many hand-made bottles were shipped to the mining cabins of the Kenai Peninsula.
Wibel's Cabin on Canyon Creek, Ingram Creek, Russian Mine above Quartz Creek, Ptarmigan Creek confluence with Kenai Lake.
Hope-Sunrise Historical Mining Museum
Historical Museums around Alaska
Museums with websites
About the Author
Charlie Bader spent much of his childhood watching his father search for clues of what used to be busy mining cabins.