BMW Smile LogoFor those that will be traveling to Alaska, get the Milepost!

Back to Home Page

This guide will literally give you mile by mile what to see, history, where to eat, lodge, gas, repairs, phone numbers, addresses, ect.

Here you'll find Trip Planning Help and Frequently Asked Questions about travel to Alaska and Western Canada, courtesy of The MILEPOST® travel guide. Since 1949, The MILEPOST® has been the most trusted and complete guide to travel to Alaska, the Yukon, British Columbia, Alberta and Western Northwest Territories. Updated annually, The MILEPOST® gives you detailed information on everything from the famous Alaska Highway to cruising Alaska's Inside Passage. USA Today calls The Alaska MILEPOST "The best source of information."

"The most information you can find in any one book. You can take all the guidebooks listed

in this review and still won't get close."&emdash;Travel Books Review

"I wish guidebooks for all my road trips were as comprehensive as The MILEPOST®." &emdash;National Geographic Traveler

"The alaska tourists' bible."&emdash;Travel Holiday favorite-guidebook column

"The quintessential reference."&emdash;The Associated Press

"In short, The MILEPOST® is to travelers what the unabridged dictionary is to writers." &emdash;Capital City Weekly

Top of Page

Wolf K RiderAlaska Marine Highway Ferry System link

Back to Home Page

Traveling to Alaska by cruise ship or ferry via the Inside Passage becomes more popular every year. The Inside Passage is the route north along the coast of British Columbia and through southeastern Alaska that uses the protected waterways between the islands and the mainland. (Inside Passage is also commonly used to refer to Southeast Alaska and its communities.)

Historically, this famed water route was used by early explorers (Vancouver, Cook)in the 18th century and by gold stampeders during the 19th century. The water passage travels along hundreds of miles of forested coastline, passing deep fjords and the steep, snow-capped peaks of the Coast Range.

Travel by ferry along the Inside Passage is provided by the Alaska Marine Highway, which is the name of the Alaska state ferry system and also refers to the water route the ferries follow from Bellingham, WA, to Skagway, AK. BC Ferries also serves the Inside passage, providing marine transportation between Port Hardy and Prince Rupert, BC.Travel by cruise ship along the Inside Passage is provided by more than a dozen cruise lines offering itineraries to Southeast Alaska ports of call and across the Gulf of Alaska to Southcentral ports of call.

Back to Home Page

Top of Page

Road Contruction

Back to Home Page

Here are some places to go to check the highways that you may be traveling on, or wish to route around!

Alaska Highway Construction Travelers Guide

If you are interested in information regarding construction and maintenance projects or road closures due to storms or other events please check out the sites listed below:

For Alaska Dept. of Transportation reports on summer road construction in Alaska, go to Go to Traveler Info and click on Construction Advisories in the pull-down menu. Then click on Northern Compass for the Interior region; Southcentral Navigator for highways in the Southcentral region; or Southeast Pilot for descriptions of ongoing highway and airport projects in Southeast Alaska and for information about ferry terminal projects throughout Alaska. The construction season typically runs from the beginning of May to the end of October. Please obey the construction signing and Flagger's instructions.
The State of Alaska Dept. of Transportation & Public Facilities also provides 24-hour roadwork hotlines for highway travelers, phone (907) 273-6037 in Anchorage, or 1-800-478-7675; if you are traveling to Fairbanks, Tok or Valdez, phone (907) 456-7623; or for the Steese Highway 451-5204.
The Northern Region contains the contiguous road and airport systems from the Gulf of Alaska up the Canadian Border to the Arctic Ocean on the North Slope, to Nome on the Seward Peninsula and to Valdez on Prince William Sound. For general information on the Northern Region, please feel free to call the Project Engineer at the phone number listed on the project or by calling (907) 451-5466.
The Southcentral Region contains the largest concentration of population in the State of Alaska. The contiguous highway system runs from the Homer Spit at the end of the Sterling Highway to the Regional boundaries on the Glenn Highway at MP 118 near Eureka, and the Parks Highway at MP 163 at Little Coal Creek. It includes Kodiak Island and the Aleutian Chain, as well as the isolated villages south of the Kuskokwim River, and all points in between. For general information on the Southcentral Region, please feel free to call the Highway Construction Office at 1-907-269-0450.

The Highway Construction Section is the responsible agency for the administration of all State roadway construction in this Region. The construction season typically runs from the beginning of May to the end of October. When traveling through Southcentral Alaska, please obey the construction signing and our Flagger's instructions. Most of our large construction Projects are identified in the Alaska MILEPOST, and a copy on your dashboard is a helpful addition. More detailed information and telephone numbers are available in the local newspapers. For general information, please feel free to call the Highway Construction Office at 1-907-269-0450.

24-hour Roadwork Hotlines are 456-7623 (Fairbanks) or 451-5204 (Steese Highway) for current road reports. If you will be traveling the Alaska Highway through Canada, call 1-403-667-8215 for information.

Visit the B.C. Ministry of Transportation and Highways Road Reports for the latest on road conditions, route information and ferry schedules in British Columbia.

Back to Home Page

Top of Page