What You Will Need Climbing With
Patagonia Mountain Agency.
We are often asked what sort of specialized equipment is needed to
participate on an expedition with Patagonia Mountain Agency. While we
provide all of the group equipment (ropes, etc.) individual
climbers will need a variety of personal supplies.
Here is a sample equipment list for Ama Dablam:
- Trekking boots
- Double boots
- Vapor barrier liners for feet (optional)
- Crampons (step in bindings preferred)
- Heavy wool/pile socks (4 pairs) + 4 pairs light synthetics
- Light weight long underwear (top+bottom)
- Medium or heavy weight long underwear(especially top and maybe bottom)
- Light capilene gloves (2 pairs) + heavy mittens + Gore Tex overmits.
- Glacier glasses with nose shield and side shields
- One-liter large mouth water bottles (2)
- Pee Bottle
- Lip sun screen
- Wool or pile hat
- Pile jacket and pants
- Gore-Tex shells - top and bottom. Pants preferably to have full-length zippers
- Sleeping Bag rated to -10, -20 degrees - preferably down.
- Sleeping pads (two) - i.e. one thermarest and one closed-cell foam
- Backpack (internal frame, at least 4000+ cubic inches)
- Ice ax
- Seat harness - preferably the type with adjustable leg loops i.e. Black Diamond Bod
- Locking carabiners - (2)
- Rapelling device, i.e. ATC, stitch plate, figure 8.
- Down Jacket
- Jumars (ascenders)
- Climbing helmet
- Ski Poles
- Travel clothes
- Personal first aid kit and toiletry kit
- Small day pack for trekking (optional)
- Large duffel bags for transporting your gear (esp. via air, porter) (2)
- A tent - for privacy in basecamp.
These are suggested items. From experience you probably have your own
preferred gear/gear combos.
Need some gear? Try here: Mountain Gear. Or try
PMA Sponsor Alpinus. Of course, you'll need to
read in Polish. Sorry. But the pictures are great!
Back to Patagonia Mountain Agency